While Chess.com is free for everyone, there are premium account options if you’re serious about your chess, the question is though, are they worth it?
In this guide, we’re going to take a closer look at whether or not the premium Chess.com account upgrade is truly worth it, evaluating what the added benefits of this upgrade are, as well as what some of the drawbacks are too!
So, if you’ve been contemplating upgrading your account to the premium version, then this guide is going to be worth checking out.
What Is Chess.com?
Catering to chess enthusiasts all around the world, Chess.com allows players to play chess against one another wherever they are thanks to its availability as both a website and an app.
There are also opportunities to learn and develop your skills, as well as watching professional players battle each other, too.
While there are other chess platforms available, many consider Chess.com to be one of the best thanks to its huge user base and available tutorials, which makes it great for those who are new to the game.
What Features Does Chess.com Offer?
One of the best things about Chess.com is the wide array of features that it offers its users. Whether you’re new to the game or a seasoned player, you’ll appreciate what the platform has to offer when looking to face off against other players in your downtime.
Of course, first and foremost, Chess.com is about playing chess.
The experience of playing chess on the platform is a good one, with smooth gameplay complimented by simple yet crisp animations and easy-to-use interfaces.
You can choose whether to participate in a timed live match, or on a turn-by-turn basis, whichever suits you best, and there’s even the option to practice against AI bots too, all of which vary in difficulty.
As with any sport or game, especially chess, no one is ever perfect, which is exactly why learning new opening variations, traps, and other tactics through Chess.com is a great idea.
Contained all in one convenient section of the platform, you’ll be able to make your way through the tutorial videos, interactive lessons, and quizzes to develop and further your understanding of the game.
Chess.com also provides users with a range of different puzzles to try their hand at too, such as Rated Puzzles, Daily Puzzles, Custom Puzzles, Puzzle Battle, and Puzzle Rush.
These puzzles are another great way to develop your game, so are worth checking out if you want a unique way to develop your skills as a chess player.
What Is Included With A Free Chess.com Account?
When signing up for a Chess.com account, most people immediately opt for the free version first. This is smart since you can access a huge amount of the features that Chess.com offers without having to spend a single cent.
By signing up for a free account, you can:
- Play Unlimited Chess Games – No matter what time settings or special modes you choose to play, you can play as many games of chess as you want.
- Course Access – You’ll be able to access the course named “New To Chess”, providing an additional lesson of your choice each week.
- Puzzles – You’ll be able to play up to 3 puzzles per day, and play Puzzle Battle and Puzzle Rush once per day.
- Review – You can use the “Review Game” feature on one game per day, allowing you to get an insight into your moves.
- Tournaments – You’ll be able to play and compete in the tournaments hosted on the platform.
- Library Access – See the first 4 moves of any opening variation in the Opening Library
- Other Features – You can post in the forums, participate in the daily puzzle, use the vision trainer, and do a select amount of drills too.
What Do Premium Chess.com Accounts Offer?
While the free option is a great choice, what do the premium Chess.com account tiers have to offer users?
The first step into premium Chess.com account tiers, and at $4.17 a month when billed annually, you’ll be able to access:
- Ad-free gameplay and app usage
- Unlimited lessons
- Unlimited puzzles
- Access to opener explorer and endgame positioner
- Full access to Chess.com bots
The next step up, the platinum tier costs $6.67 a month when billed annually, and includes:
- Unlimited access to analysis and review tools
- 100 Daily Tournament management capabilities
- Increased vacation days
- Unique flair icons
- Shared analysis boards
The top-of-the-range account tier, Diamond, is pricey and costs $10 a month when billed annually. For this, you get:
- Custom analysis (You can determine the analysis parameters)
- More custom flairs
- Insight feature (Provides interesting facts and statistics about the game)
- Unlimited game analysis, and coached explanations for your moves
So, with all that being said, which one is best?
The Verdict: Is Chess.com Premium Worth It?
When it comes to determining which of these account tiers is worth it, it boils down to the top chess player you are.
Those new to the game are best off with either a free or a gold-tier account. Meanwhile, those who are at the top of their game will benefit from the additional insights and analysis provided by the platinum and diamond tiers.
However, when it comes to the best bang for your buck, Gold Tier is the best, especially if you’re upgrading from a free account.
So there you have it, our guide to whether or not the Chess.com premium is worth it.
While gold tier is a worthwhile investment, both platinum and diamond tier upgrades are more so for vanity, and lack substantial feature inclusions to make them worthwhile.